As in previous years, curators will get the chance to submit proposals for Hafnarborg’s autumn exhibition of next year. The autumn exhibition series began in the 2011 and since then ten exhibitions have been produced as a part of the series. This year‘s autumn exhibition, The Wildflower, which opened on August 29th, was selected by the same method, from the proposals submitted last year.
By calling for proposals, the objective is to collaborate with different curators, who submit interesting proposals for an exhibition, as well as letting new voices be heard. In this way, special attention is given to curators who are new to the field. It is evident that a program of this kind is not without warrant, as it has produced diverse and thought-provoking exhibitions, which have drawn attention and gotten good attendance.
The call is for exhibitions connecting subject matter, method or other ideas of artists’ works, but exhibitions analyzing or focusing on a specific aspect of one artist’s work will also be considered. Proposals for exhibitions of contemporary artists’ works or exhibitions entailing historical analysis are also welcome. The Director and Art Council of Hafnarborg review the proposals and select the winning proposal each year.
The deadline to submit proposals is until midnight, Sunday October 25th.
Applications are only accepted via email at email@example.com.
The application process is divided into two parts. For more details about the process and the required material, please read on.
For the first part of the application process, we ask for the following information:
- Description of the exhibition project with an emphasis on the idea behind the exhibition (1000 words maximum).
- CV of the curators.
- Short CV of the artist/artists and others that will be part of the exhibition project.
Please provide as detailed a description as possible, while respecting the maximum word count. We will also accept illustrative material that is descriptive for the project. Make an effort to get acquainted with Hafnarborg’s gallery spaces and layout before submitting the proposal. The Art Council of Hafnarborg, alongside the Director, will review all proposals and select those that will move on to the second part of the application process.
The curators that submitted the proposals that were selected for further evaluation will be asked to present their ideas and provide additional materials, such as exhibition catalogues, illustrative material or videos, as well as working on a realistic budget plan for the exhibition. The budget plan for the exhibition, including its preparation, is expected to be in accordance with the museum’s financial plan, otherwise making plans to seek special financial support for the project.
When evaluating the proposal, the following will be taken under special consideration:
- Selection of artists.
- Whether the exhibition introduces an innovative view of the arts, for example in relation to its context and/or media.
- Whether the exhibition includes new or older works, or even a mixture of both.
- Whether the exhibition has a special relevance to Hafnarborg, for example to its museum collection, its surroundings etc.
- Whether the exhibition makes use of Hafnarborg’s exhibition space in a creative way.
- The curators’ experience and CV (specifically looking for curators in the earlier part of their career).
- Suggestions for programming connected to the exhibition (curatorial talks, artist talks, seminars etc.).
- Suggestions for a possible publication.
- That the financial aspect of the project is within reasonable limits (a more precise assessment of the cost will take place in the later part of the process).
Sketches of Hafnarborg’s floor plan can be viewed here. They can be used for the proposals, although it is not required that the exhibition be designed precisely for the space.
Please send all proposals via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, under the subject “Autumn Exhibition 2021”. In response, we will send a message confirming that we have received the proposal. If no confirmation is received, feel free to call us at (354) 585 5790. All results will be sent via email.
Further information is given by the office of Hafnarborg at (354) 585 5790.